Vestibular Schwannoma 4 Days After Surgery – January 23, 2018

Bio Blog Health Vestibular Schwannoma

Hey, it’s Matt Davis and I am back home. I went in on Friday and had the surgery for removing my vestibular schwannoma first thing in the morning.

The Day of the Surgery:

It’s morning time and we’re at the hospital, Ashley (my wife) asked if I brushed my hair, no i did not brush my hair. The time is 5:30 ish and my surgery starts at 7:30. I’m not too nervous, but I am really tired. So maybe that’ll be good, maybe I’ll sleep well afterwards. Goodbye hearing in my right ear it was nice knowing you.

I was at Riverside in Columbus Ohio and I had some of the best care I’ve ever had at the hospital. It was really nice and for everything I was going through, at the time, they did what they could to make me comfortable just wanted to give them a shout out.

I came home yesterday after going to the hospital to get my vestibular schwannoma, also called an acoustic neuroma, removed. As you can see, the right side of my face is paralyzed but there is some strength in there. The doctors tell me that it will be able to come back it could take six months to a year with physical therapy and things like that.

I also want to thank everybody who has been praying for me and my family. It’s been a little bit of a trial but God’s got my back, just like he got me here, he’s gonna see me through this well. I’m gonna keep doing some updates as us things change, I’ll put up a picture of my of my scar. 

Also, there are a couple spots on my head where they pinned me in to do the surgery table and they removed a bit of fat from my belly to fill the void of my tumor. I have lost hearing on the right side completely and as you can see the facial muscle control. Right now I’m resting and taking medications to help with the pain and doing what I can to get back up my feet as quickly as possible.

My wife and my family has been a real support for me through this. Ashley she has been by my side, she has encouraged me to get the help I needed for the things I’ve been dealing with this. She handled a lot of my phone calls and spent a lot of her time to get me to where I am now. I’m just really grateful for her. I’m also grateful for my boys who even though this is a little bit bigger than than they understand right now just seeing them after my surgery made me super happy.

Thank you for coming along with me on this journey, if you have any questions just leave a comment and I’ll do my best to answer them. Thank you everyone! I’ll talk to you guys later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *